It's Not All Black and White

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My Vacation, Finally!

Yes, I am finally sharing some pictures from my trip to Paris and London. They're not the very best pictures. Everything is so big, it's hard to take a picture of it. And so crowded that you can hardly stop long enough to get a picture that isn't just full of more tourists. I told my husband that I was making a pictorial tribute to the Leaning Tower of Pisa, because my pictures were all so crooked. So, they've now been edited, brightened, and somewhat straightened. Here are some of the highlights.

PARIS:

The Eiffel TowerVersailles, from the back. This is really only about half of it. I couldn't get the whole thing in the picture. Yes, it's that big!One of the gardens at VersaillesThe Hall of Mirrors at Versailles

Winged Victory at the Louvre. We also saw the Mona Lisa, but a photo just can not do it justice, and the Venus de Milo.

Notre Dame. You can actually go up into the bell towers, but we ran out of time and had to catch our train back to London.

LONDON:Leeds Castle in Kent

Peacock at Leeds Castle. I swear this thing was following me all around the grounds.

Tower of London. This is actually only the oldest part of what people call the Tower of London. It's called the White Tower because it was whitewashed and the Norman Tower I believe because of the time it was built.

Big Ben and the London Eye in the background, which is across the river. And in reality, Big Ben is only the name of the large bell in the tower.

The Garden Walk in Hyde Park. This was so beautiful. I was very impressed by London's parks in both size and beauty.

Green Park just across from Buckingham Palace. (ETA: Sorry, we were meandering that day and one park leads to another. I just looked at a map and do believe this is in St. James Park.)

From a bridge in Green Park with Buckingham Palace in the distance. (ETA: Also St. James Park I believe.)

So, I guess there were more highlights than I had thought at first. Hope you enjoyed the little overview. I always dreamed about a trip like this in the true sense of a dream. I never thought I'd get to go. It was stressful, not knowing how to get around and not wanting to pay for taxis. I was starting to think I was going to have to sleep on the streets of Paris our first night, because we couldn't find our hotel. LOL. But we figured it out and actually crammed in all of the creme de la creme that we wanted to see.

Thanks for visiting.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos! I am green with envy. A European vacation is one of my biggest dreams, too. I hope one day to make it a reality.

Alex said...

Love the photos Bethany, looks like you had a fabulous time! I loved both of these places (I lived there) and looking at these brought back many memories - thanks for sharing! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Libby Hickson said...

Your photos are wonderful - they bring back so many great memories!! So glad you were able to take your dream vacation!!!

Christi Flores said...

All of your photos are gorgeous!! TFS! :)

Sara in WI said...

Great pictures.....brought back lots of good memories of both London and France. Wasn't Versailles gorgeous? I could have spent a whole day in the gardens alone.
Sara in WI

Jen said...

beatuiful photos! we were just in paris two weeks ago, my brother's choir was here on tour from the states and did the morning mass at notre dame....it was so beautiful!! we did a quickie..trip just a long weekend...isn't paris just FUN!?? and the tower...it is SO huge!! glad you had a good trip!!

Unknown said...

Your pictures are just beautiful Bethany!! Looks like so much fun - what a great trip! :)

Angie Z ~ Duckwaddlequack said...

Fabulous photos, Bethany! Thanks for sharing and meanwhile, I'll keep dreaming! :)
~Angie

Anonymous said...

These pictures are awesome Bethany. Looks like you saw a lot and had fun! thanks for sharing. Stacy Twinshappy scs

Lorie W. said...

Beautiful pictures. I was at Leed's Castle about 9 1/2 years ago. We only caught a glimpse, but they had an albino peacock, very rare. Was wondering if he was still there.
Lovely places you visited. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you! This was wonderful! I'll bet you had a truly wonderful time. Of course, I especially love the looks of Hyde Park. Oooooooh, wouldn't I love to walk there!

Dawn Easton said...

Wow Bethany, your photos are spectacular!! Thanks for sharing them with us...I am happy to hear you were able to do so much!!

carole (TruCarMa) said...

What a fantastic trip you had, Bethany! I'm so happy for you. Isn't our world amazing? There's sooo much to see and do and appreciate -- sometimes that's easy to forget, but looking at your pics reminds me. Thanks!!

Alyssa S said...

Thanks for sharing! You took amazing photos! I especially like your view of the Eiffel Tower! :o)

Tami McBeain said...

Beautiful photos Bethany! This is on my dream vacations list, I'm hoping that I'll get there someday!

Pegg S said...

Beautiful pictures - very happy you were able to see and experience those 2 cities! I really love to travel, esp to Europe! We avoid taxis too - we end up walking everywhere and I inevitably get cranky - when you are tired and hungry and in another country, it can be stressful! :)

Rose Ann said...

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us!! It looks like you had a wonderful time, and visited so many awesome places!!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Your phots are fabulous! What a great trip you must have had.

Christina Fischer said...

Such beautiful photos! What a great trip you must have had!! :)

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

WOW, gorgeous pics, Bethany! I'll bet you had an awesome time!