It's Not All Black and White

Friday, May 18, 2007

An ALL DAY card


Why am I so late posting today, you ask. Because this card took me ALL DAY to make! No, it's not that difficult of a card, as you can see. I just had no mojo today. I didn't even want to stamp, but that my friends, is the start of a slump, because I didn't stamp yesterday either.

So I made myself sit at my stamp desk and just started inking up some stamps in different colors to see what they looked like on scrap paper. I would stamp for a little while...SCS...stamp...eat lunch...stamp...blog surf...stamp...well, you get the idea. I finally decided on the Autumn Leaves Swirls and Papertrey Ink Paper Tray flowers you see here in some colors I pulled from a piece of designer paper. I ended up not even using the designer paper, but hey, it got me started.

I also used my new Versamagic inks. Here are a few thoughts I have on those:
1. The lids are rather hard to get on and off. They are brand new though, and I'm hoping they'll wear in a little bit.
2. The ink is FABULOUS. It has such solid coverage. It worked wonderfully with my clear stamps, even the cheap dollar ones I was messing around with earlier.
3. Because the ink is rather thick, the stamp wants to slide on the ultasmooth paper. SU doesn't call it ultrasmooth for nothin' (or at least that's what it used to be called). So you need a somewhat steady hand. Also, be careful not to over-ink your stamp. This will help some.

So here's what I finally ended up with for today's Friendship Friday card: I stamped Swirls in Aloe Vera. I stamped the Paper Tray flowers in Red Magic, Pink Grapefruit, Persimmon and Pumpkin Spice. I doodled the border with SU choc chip marker. This got layered on Rose Red and Certainly Celery. I covered my 6x6 acrylic block with swirl stamps, so I could stamp the background all at once with the Aloe Vera versamagic. Added some matching flowers to the
background. I cut a rose red cuttlebug flower and punched a white circle for the center. During my day long-one card-stamping event, the mailman came. WooHoo! My new Papertrey Ink sets! I was hoping they would arrive, because I had been counting on using this sentiment from Faux Ribbon on my card. Look at how gorgeous that sentiment (Persimmon and Aloe Vera) looks in its little flower center! I added SU Petals and Paisleys polka dotted paper and some orange organdy ribbon by Offray (JoAnn's). I'm so happy to be done, and I like it pretty well. Stamp slump averted!

I plan on trying a least a few of the challenges for Virtual Stamp Night at Splitcoast this weekend, starting tonight. So, hopefully I'll see some of you there. It's fun and stress free. I only do as many challenges as I feel like doing. You don't have to do them all. So now I have to go clean up today's massive stamping mess, so I can start again this evening. Have a happy Friendship Friday!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh....this is sooo beautiful! Sorry it took so long to make, but it was worth it. Your card is just gorgeous. Love those colors and the stamps, and the paper, and the layout....:)
Have a great weekend! Hugs and smiles

Amy said...

Hi Bethany! LOVE your card! I don't seem to have a lot of mojo either lately, I wonder what's in the air? Guess what, I JUST got my Papertrey stamps today too (like just right this minute)! Woo-hoo, I can't wait to stamp with them! Hopefully they will help us with our mojo!

Amy
p.s. thanks for the kind words today, they brought a smile to my face!

Michele Kovack said...

I love, love, love, this card! How cute!

Alli said...

OMG! Bethany......thud, this card is fabulous, I love the mix of sets, it's just fabulous.
My mojo seems to have gone on vacation too, sigh! Do you think they have all gone partying together? :)

Jill said...

I love this--it turned out beautifully even if it did take all day. I hear ya though, I've been feeling a lack of mojo too lately. I'm attributing my lack to needing new stamps to play with...:)

Rose Ann said...

I'm glad you played "all day". The final result is stunning! I LOVE everything about this card!

Allison Rankin said...

OMG...you are brilliant! Prepare to be CASEd!

Meli Palmer said...

Sorry to hear about your slump..sometimes it helps me to just take a few days to myself with no stamping or scrapping. Then I can come back feeling refreshed!
I love the colors you used. Red and orange is one of my favorite combos. Great eye!

Marie said...

This is really pretty - I love the colors!!! I would never consider myself in a slump if I made something like this ;) TFS

Sew Club said...

This is really pretty! I like the way you added the flowers to the flourishes, and the colors are great. I just might have to get me some of those ink pads! You enabler you! :)

Susan (susiestampalot) said...

well, your mojo didn't go very far, because it found it's way back awefully fast!! this is wonderful!! i may have to try those sets together to make the fun little flower garden!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely thought that was swirly flowered background paper and I thought it was interesting that there was a line of matching papers and stamps. But, no, that's just your creativity I'm looking at and it's fabulous! Wonderful card! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog through SCS.
Well, for not having any mojo, this card is pretty Awesome. Why don't you come on over, I will make some Kona coffee and something Chocolate. That should get the mojo going!LOL
Have a Happy Weekend!

Beth Thomas said...

Your mojo didn't go away, it was just regrouping. This card is beautiful and worth your patience! I love the colors and the beautiful flower stems made with the flourishes!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

This is so fabulous! I've been in that wishy washy "I don't feel like stamping" mood the last couple days, too. I'm glad you pushed through, because this card is truly beautiful, and worth the process it took to get there.

Juliana said...

I really like the Swirls with the flowers. I want to try that now!! Thanks for the product tips, too!!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

That is a BEAUTIFUL card, Bethany! I have those swirls, but I just can't make them work. . .you did a WONDERFUL job with them! Love this card!

kathy said...

Bethany you are so talented. that card is beautiful. I wish my slumps could create something as nice...lol

Karen Lindsay said...

Your card is beautiful! I've made a few of those all-day cards myself. LOL! I can give you a little tip on those lids. You need to keep the clear cover on the pads to keep them from drying out, but they're kind of a pain when you need to keep track of them. so here's the tip: Place the clear cover on the pad. Put a pop dot or scrap piece from a pop-dot sheet on top of the clear cover and remove the paper from the dot/scrap. Now put the lid on the pad and push down so the pop dot grabs it. Now, when you take the lid off, the clear cover will come off with it and you won't misplace it. :)

Alli Miles said...

What a BEAUTIFUL card!!!I have had cards that take all day too LOL. My lack of mojo lately has to do with being sick. Wow can that drag the fun out of a person.
Anyways...just LOVE this card.
Alli

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, Bethany! I love the colors and how you made your own patterned paper. Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

great cards , love your style.

http://celebrationmoments.typepad.com/

Michele Kovack said...

This card is lovely!

Anonymous said...

Love that card, I did one with a similar idea a few weeks ago...it is in my SCS gallery.
Geny C. (aka Mommy Geny)

Little C's Creations said...

Hi Bethany - it's gorgeous, girl!! Very very pretty!!!

Aloha,
Jen